Today is day number 3 with the sun peeking out from behind the clouds, makes me smile.
Today is also my sister Alana’s birthday – she is turning 15, which I really can’t believe! Happy birthday to you Alana, I love you so much!
Did you make any new years resolutions about making more lunches to bring to work or getting out of your go-to lunch rut? If so, check out this quick and easy lunch recipe, If not, check it out anyway because it is so good!
My husband loves egg salad so when I came upon this recipe at Oh She Glows I thought I would give it a try and I am glad I did! While this is quite different than egg salad, it still has that pickle and dill, crunchy and creamy satisfaction factor. It’s made with chickpeas and celery and a lot of the same flavorings as egg salad.
Super tight for time? You can easily skip a couple of these steps and still get a great result.
For example, skip toasting the sunflower seeds and just use them as you have them. Don’t have fresh dill? Use dried. Don’t want to bother mincing a garlic clove? Substitute in a sprinkle of garlic powder (usually garlic powder is quite strong so be careful not to put too much in and overwhelm the dish).
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas, or 15oz can
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp diced onion, red would probably be best but I used yellow ‘cause that’s what I had
- ¼ cup diced dill pickle (2-3 pickles)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast sunflowers in a frying pan until slightly browned
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and slightly mash up with the back of a fork.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve in a wrap, pita, or sandwich bread with a little vegan mayo, or with crackers.
So much flavor and none of the cholesterol